Kennebunkport, Maine is rich in history and our Carriage House is no exception. In 1883, the former home of Sea Captain Henry Heckman became the Nonantum Hotel. The word “nonantum” is the Algonquin Indian word for “blessing”. The main lobby of our family resort is part of the original structure that has been reconstructed, added onto and updated over the past 135+ years. Despite the many changes made to keep pace with evolving guest expectations and the latest design trends, our main building still retains its 19th century charm and elegance.
While Maine has been “Vacationland” for decades, the popularity of Kennebunkport exploded during George H.W. Bush’s terms as Vice President and President of the United States (the Bush family’s summer home is less than two miles from our front door). In response to the dramatically increased demand for rooms and to offer better views of the water, we built the Portside Lodge in 1987. Couples and families alike enjoy the private balconies and patios on the first and second floors of Portside Lodge as well as the large picture windows in our third floor rooms that overlook the Kennebunk River.