The Nonantum Resort was named a TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold property in 2015 & 2016, as determined by our overall level of participation in environmentally friendly activities. TA GreenLeaders recognizes hotels that are committed to green practices like recycling, local and organic food, and electric car charging stations. Gold is the second highest ranking a property can achieve for its sustainability efforts. Travelers can find and book a greener stay – just look for the leaf on our TripAdvisor listing!
Energy-Efficient Units Installed in All Guestrooms
The Nonantum Resort is proud to be a good steward of our beautiful coastal environment in Maine. We work hard to raise awareness of the environmental impact of everything we do at the resort. Please join us in our Green Housekeeping Initiative during your stay. You can receive a $10 per day resort credit if you decline housekeeping services, or a $5 per day resort credit if you decline turndown services. Please see the front desk to find out more!
We are certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection as an Environmental Leader by implementing programs to:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Minimize/reduce waste
- Use environmentally preferable cleaners
- Purchase and prepare local foods
- Compost unused food waste with We Compost It!
- Installed 3 electric vehicle charging stations in summer 2014
- Recycle our unused soap products with Clean the World*, a non-profit organization that saves the lives of children by bringing these items to impoverished countries around the world (program implemented in March 2012)
- Educate the staff and guests on reducing their environmental impact
- Donate money from our bottle returns to local charities and staff wellness benefits
- All of the gardens and resort grounds are 100% organic
- Use herbs and edible flowers grown on site in our food and beverage offerings
- Working on plantings to help sustain bee and monarch butterfly populations
- Planting natural herbs and flowers to sustain the local colonies
- Giving out pods to encourage planting at home
- Proud supporters of the Environmental Leader Program
*In partnership with Clean the World, in 2016 we recycled a total of 335 lbs. of waste, 1,595 bars of soap, 27 lbs. of plastic and 72 plastic bottles – for a grand total over the past few years of 1,745 lbs. of waste, 6,851 soap bars, 345 lbs. of plastic and 921 plastic bottles recycled. Please click here to view our most up to date report.
We also composted 40 tons of food in 2015, and 56 tons in 2013.