Since 1883 The Nonantum has adapted to the times to meet the needs of our guests – while at the same time retaining the history and essence of the original inn.
Chronological History of the Resort
- 1883 – Ground Breaking on a site believed to be a trading center where native Americans traded with early settlers. The word Nonantum is from the Native American Algonquian word meaning blessing or pray.
- 1884 – The original Inn opened on July 4th with 28 rooms and 10 staff members.
- 1887 – Additional land purchased to expand the resorts waterfront area.
- 1891 – A small addition was built and alterations were done to the dining room.
- 1902 – The front Piazza was added to the Inn.
- 1930 – The rear wing was added on to the Inn.
- 1963 – The outdoor pool is built and filled with salt water.
- 1973 – The front Wicker Wing was added to the Carriage House.
- 1987 – The Portside Lodge was built and dramatically increased the number of rooms at the resort.
- 1998 – The resort gets a new pool.
- 2000 – Complete renovation of the kitchen.
- 2001 – All of the Rooms in the Portside Lodge are redecorated with summer cottage furniture.
- 2002 – The Dominion Ballroom gets a new look and all of the bathrooms in the Carriage House Inn are renovated and updated.
- 2006 – The marina is rebuilt. Resort wide WiFi is added. 123rd season is our longest season ever – opening of April 16th and closing on December 17th.
- 2008 – Nonantum Resort celebrates its 125th Anniversary and Heckman’s Pub opens.
- 2009 – Latitudes Bar and Grill opens by the pool.
- 2010 – All Portside rooms (excluding Green Rooms) receive a complete renovation that include bamboo hardwood flooring, Cuddledown bedding, and artwork provided by local artists.
- 2013 – Complete redesign and renovation of 95 Ocean. Transitioned from a patio to a fully enclosed, four-season dining room and event space. Also full renovation of 20 Guest Rooms in Portside Lodge.
- 2014 – Restyling of Main Lobby in Carriage House Inn. Brand new furniture, creating a new style and overall welcome experience. Full renovation of 20 Guest Rooms in Carriage House Inn.
- 2015 – Front Porch space glassed-in and newly renovated. Completed installation of all new mini split AC/heating units in all 109 guestrooms.
- 2016 – Brand new elevator and staircase added to the historic Carriage House Inn. New Ballroom hardwood floors. Expanded/enhanced water view function space.
- 2017 – Complete kitchen renovation took place after we shut down for the winter in 2016. We re-opened for the 2017 season with a sparkling new kitchen that served a wedding of 225 people
Images courtesy of the Brick Store Museum