The Nonantum Resort was named a TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold property in 2015 & 2016, as determined by our overall level of participation in environmentally friendly activities. TA GreenLeaders recognizes hotels that are committed to green practices like recycling, local and organic food, and electric car charging stations. Gold is the second highest ranking a property can achieve for its sustainability efforts. Travelers can find and book a greener stay – just look for the leaf on our TripAdvisor listing!
Energy-Efficient Units Installed in All Guestrooms
The Nonantum Resort is proud to be a good steward of our beautiful coastal environment in Maine. We work hard to raise awareness of the environmental impact of everything we do around the resort.
We are certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection as an Environmental Leader by implementing programs to:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Minimize/reduce waste
- Use environmentally preferable cleaners
- Purchase and prepare local foods
- Compost unused food waste with We Compost It!
- Installed 3 electric vehicle charging stations in summer 2014
- Recycle our unused soap products with Clean the World*, a non-profit organization that saves the lives of children by bringing these items to impoverished countries around the world (program implemented in March 2012)
- Educate the staff and guests on reducing their environmental impact
- Donate money from our bottle returns to local charities and staff wellness benefits
- All of the gardens and resort grounds are 100% organic
- Use herbs and edible flowers grown on site in our food and beverage offerings
- Working on plantings to help sustain bee and monarch butterfly populations
- Planting natural herbs and flowers to sustain the local colonies
- Giving out pods to encourage planting at home
- Proud supporters of the Environmental Leader Program, as seen at the Maine Governor’s Conference on Tourism 2013
*In 2015, we added in-shower shampoo, conditioner and body wash dispensers which reduced our overall use of plastic bottles and waste. In partnership with Clean the World, we recycled a total of 239 lbs. of waste, 1,013 bars of soap, 37 lbs. of plastic and 98 plastic bottles (as compared with our historical totals of 1,410 lbs. of waste, 5,256 soap bars, 318 lbs. of plastic and 849 plastic bottles recycled).
We also recycled 40 tons of food in to compost in 2015, and 56 tons in 2013.