TripAdvisor GreenLeader Gold
The Nonantum Resort applied for and was awarded a TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Gold badge, as determined by the property's overall level of participation in environmentally friendly activities. TA GreenLeaders recognizes hotels that are committed to green practices like recycling, local and organic food, and electric car charging stations. Gold is the second highest ranking a property can achieve for its sustainability efforts. Travelers can find and book a greener stay - just look for the leaf on our TripAdvisor listing!
The Nonantum Resort Wins Henkel's Go Green & Save Contest!
Only 5 hotels across the country were selected for their efforts in going green. The Nonantum Resort was the only hotel in Maine and New England to be in the running. Voting ran through October 22, 2014 and The Nonantum was named the winner! The resort will receive $30,000 worth of Henkel products like Dial sustainable guestroom amenities to use in their 2015 season. (www.hotelmanagement.net/henkel-go-green-vote)
The Nonantum Resort is proud to be a good steward of our beautiful coastal environment in Maine. We work hard to raise awareness of the environmental impact of everything we do around the resort.
We are certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection as an Environmental Leader by implementing programs to:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Minimize/reduce waste
- Use environmentally preferable cleaners
- Purchase and prepare local foods
- Installed 3 electric vehicle charging stations in summer 2014
- Recycle our unused soap products with Clean the World*, a non-profit organization that saves the lives of children by bringing these items to impoverished countries around the world (program implemented in March 2012)
- Educate the staff and guests on reducing their environmental impact
- Donate money from our bottle returns to local charities and staff wellness benefits
- All of the gardens and resort grounds are 100% organic
- Use herbs and edible flowers grown on site in our food and beverage offerings
- Working on plantings to help sustain bee and monarch butterfly populations
- Planting natural herbs and flowers to sustain the local colonies
- Giving out pods to encourage planting at home
- Proud supporters of the Environmental Leader Program, as seen at the Maine Governor's Conference on Tourism 2013
*In 2013, we sent a total of 1,308 pounds of shampoo and soap to Clean the World to be distributed to children and families in need worldwide.
We also recycled 56 tons of food in to compost in 2013.