The Nonantum Resort is proud to be the best possible stewards of our beautiful waterfront site and the greater Maine environment. We work hard to be keenly aware of the environmental impact of everything we do around the Resort.
We are certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection as an Environmental Leader by implementing programs to:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Minimize/reduce waste
- Use environmental preferable cleaners
- Recycle our unused soap products with Clean the World **, a non-profit organization that saves the lives of children by bringing these items to impoverished countries around the world
- Purchase local food
- Educate the staff and guests on reducing environmental impact.
- Money from our bottle returns is donated to local charities and staff wellness benefits
- All of the Gardens and grounds are 100% organic
- All herbs and edible flowers grown are used in our the resorts food and beverage outlets
- The Nonantum works with Tibbetts Farm in Lyman, ME to compost organic kitchen waste.
- Proud supporters of the Environmental Leader Program, as seen at the Governor's Conference on Tourism, January 2013
Since implementing Clean the World program in March 2012, our team has collected (420.5) pounds of soap, which means that due to our staff’s efforts, (2243) bars of soap will be distributed to children and families in need worldwide!
We've also collected (140) pounds of bottled amenities and combined they have diverted (302) pounds of soap and bottled amenities from hitting local landfills!
Click here to find out how Clean the World is lending a hand to those affected by Hurricane Sandy.