The Nonantum Resort is proud to be a good steward of our beautiful coastal environment in Maine. We work hard to raise awareness of the environmental impact of everything we do around the resort.
We are certified by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection as an Environmental Leader by implementing programs to:
- Save energy
- Conserve water
- Minimize/reduce waste
- Use environmental preferable cleaners
- Purchase and prepare local food
- Installed 3 electric vehicle charging stations in summer 2014
- Recycle our unused soap products with Clean the World*, a non-profit organization that saves the lives of children by bringing these items to impoverished countries around the world
- Educate the staff and guests on reducing their environmental impact
- Donate money from our bottle returns to local charities and staff wellness benefits
- All of the gardens and resort grounds are 100% organic
- Use herbs and edible flowers grown on site in our food and beverage offerings
- The Nonantum works with Tibbetts Farm in Lyman, ME to compost organic kitchen waste.
- Proud supporters of the Environmental Leader Program, as seen at the Governor's Conference on Tourism 2013
*Since implementing Clean the World program in March 2012, our team has collected (420.5) pounds of soap, which means that due to our staff’s efforts, (2243) bars of soap will be distributed to children and families in need worldwide!
We've also collected (140) pounds of bottled amenities and combined they have diverted (302) pounds of soap and bottled amenities from hitting local landfills!
Click here to find out how Clean the World is lending a hand to those affected by Hurricane Sandy.