Since 1883 The Nonantum has changed to adapt to the times and meet the needs of guests – and at the same time retaining the history and essences of the original inn.
Chronological history of the Resort
- 1883 - Ground Breaking on a site believed to be a trading center where native Americans traded with early settlers. The word Nonantum is from the Native American Algonquian word meaning blessing or pray.
- 1884 – The original Inn opened on July 4th with 28 rooms and 10 staff members.
- 1887 – Additional land purchased to expand the resorts waterfront area.
- 1891 – A small addition was built and alterations were done to the dining room.
- 1902 – The front Piazza was added to the Inn.
- 1930 – The rear wing was added on to the Inn.
- 1963 – The outdoor pool is built and filled with salt water.
- 1973 – The front Wicker Wing was added to the Carriage House.
- 1987 – The Portside Lodge was built and dramatically increased the number of rooms at the resort.
- 1998 – The resort gets a new pool.
- 2000 – Complete renovation of the kitchen.
- 2001 – All of the Rooms in the Portside Lodge are redecorated with summer cottage furniture.
- 2002 – The Dominion Ballroom gets a new look and all of the bathrooms in the Carriage House Inn are renovated and updated.
- 2006 – The marina is rebuilt. Resort wide WiFi is added. 123rd season is our longest season ever - opening of April 16 and closing on December 17, 2006.
- 2008 – Nonantum Resort celebrates its 125th Anniversary and Heckman’s Pub opens.
- 2009 – Latitudes Bar and Grill opens by the pool.
- 2010 – All Portside rooms (excluding Green Rooms) receive a complete renovation that include bamboo hardwood flooring, Cuddledown bedding, artwork provided by local artists.